Application Form is obtainable by post or personally from the Office of the Registrar, British American University or any other designated offices worldwide. It may also be downloaded or completed online from the BAU website www.bau-edu.us. The processing fee as indicated on the Admission form is US$50.00 payable by direct remittance into the University’ Bank Accounts. Completed forms with credentials should be returned to the Registrar, British American University, Administrative Complex, Fola Adeoti Strre, Itele-Awori, Ogun State, Nigeria. Application forms of those who do not meet the Minimum Entry Requirements for programs of their choices may be considered for other programs at the discretion of the Registrar whose decision is final. Each Admission form should be acompanied by the following documents:
- Certified True Copies of all Certificates (Academic and/or Professional).
- Certified True Copies of Birth Certificate or Sworn Declaration of Age,
- In case of Postgraduate Admission, original copies of all academic Transcripts,
- Proof of Sponsorship in the forms of letter from a sponsor, in the case of self-sponsored candidates, a letter of guarantee from employer or any other document to show the candidates financial ability to cope with the financial needs while on the program,
- Attestation/Recommendation Letter from a notable person such as a Clergyman, Imam, employer or the Principal of the candidates’ former School/University.
- A Letter of Understanding by the candidate to be of good conduct while on the BAU Program,
- Identity Documents such as International Passport, National Identity Card or a letter of identity from the candidate’s local Government of Origin,
- A copy of recently taken Passport Photograph of the Candidate, and
- Any other document which in the opinion of the candidate would enhance his/her chance of being admitted.
After the receipt of the Admission form with all relevant accompanying documents, the Admission Officer will review the entire package. If at any stage the attention of the candidate is required, a document is missing, the Admission Officer needs some more clarification especially in the case of postgraduate admission, the candidate will be contacted either by phone or by e-mail. A postgraduate may be invited to come and make oral presentation particularly in case of PhD applicants. Otherwise, if the Admission Officer is satisfied after the review of the package, the candidate will be admitted and the Admission/Acceptance Letter will be issued.
Candidates may register as Full-Time, Part-Time or Study-Away students. However, a study-away status may be granted ONLY if:
- There is a supervisor with specialization relevant to the candidate’s course of study at the candidate’s place of work or residence in addition to the University-based supervisor appointed by BAU for the candidate,
- The candidate indicates in writing his willingness to study under the supervision of the home-based supervisor, and
- The candidate would be able to visit the University Campus at least two times for a master degree and four times for a Doctoral Degree before the completion of the program for the purpose of examinations, seminar or project defense as may be appropriate.
In all cases, students under the same program shall be subjected to the same academic and professional workloads irrespective of their modes of studies
All applicants are required to send evidence of prior education and/or training. Upon the receipt of supporting documents, the Admissions Officers in coordination with the related faculty staff will perform credentialing analysis and evaluation for eligibility and possible credit transfer. Successful candidates will receive an acceptance letter along with a study plan and an enrollment agreement within three business days from the date of supporting documents receipt.
BAU will develops a Personalized Study Plan for each applicant based on major, minor field of study and the transferred credit from previously attended study or training. If the applicant has a specific interest in a subject that is not listed in his/her suggested study plan, it is possible to coordinate with Admissions Officer regarding the required change after specification of selected subject code(s) from Degree Programs listing and the code of the replaced subject. An updated study plan will then be sent back to the student after the approval and subject replacement process.
An Enrollment Agreement includes degree details, fees, payment options, refund policy and a method of payment issued to each prospective student after acceptance for his/her careful review and signature. The student will retain a copy, and return the signed originals of the Enrollment Agreement and Study Plan along with the payment evidence to the University.
A student has the right to cancel the Enrollment Agreement and obtain a refund of charges paid through non-attendance at the first class session or the seventh day after enrollment, whichever is later.
Student must submit a written, signed and dated notice of cancellation and refund to the Registrar in order to qualify for cancellation of the enrollment agreement and to a refund of excess paid value. The cancellation effective date is the date of notice submission. If the student has received federal student financial aid funds, the student is entitled to a refund of moneys not paid from the federal students financial aid program funds. Students who withdraw from the program before enrollment or wthin the first 7 days after enrollment will receive a 100% refund of any paid tuition and fees. If student withdraws after the first class session or after 7 business days from enrollment date, a prorated refund shall not be less than the total amount owed by the student for the portion of the educational program provided subtracted from the amount paid by the student, calculated as follows: The amount owed equals the daily charge for the program (total institutional charge, divided by the number of days or hours in the program), multiplied by the number of days student attended, or was scheduled to attend, prior to withdrawal.
All refundable amounts paid by the student in excess of what is owed as calculated above shall be refunded. Except as provided herein, all amounts that the student has paid shall be subject to refund unless the enrollment agreement and the refund policy outlined in the catalog specify amounts paid for an application fee or deposit not more than $250.00, books, supplies, or equipment, and specify whether and under what circumstances those amounts are non-refundable. In addition to BAU’s commitment to apply low cost tuition which is usually about 30% of what regularly applied at most of the for-profit postsecondary educational facilities, BAU develops customized financial-aid packages based on student’s level of financial need, and the availability of allocated funds.
Every student package may include any or a combination of the following major financial aid programs including Gift aid that does not require repayment and is divided into three categories which are Grants that recognize financial need, Scholarship in recognition of academic merit and Awards, Loans, that must be repaid to lender (usually after graduation) and can come from private lenders and university sources when allocated funds are available, and Work-study allows students to earn money for University expenses while gaining valuable skills – often in their intended field. All accepted students are eligible for interest free payment plans without any banking process or credit reviews, 10% immediate discount if tuition is paid in full, and 5% if paid in full within three months from enrollment date and 10% special discount if student is a first relative of a BAU current or graduated student. Textbook recycling program manages used textbooks’ collection and redistribution free of charge. This service helps a wide range of students who may face a financial strains purchasing educational materials. Other forms of scholarship and financial assistantace are as listed in the University catalog and website www,bau-edu.us